Monday, January 26, 2009

Module 2 - Question 1

My clinical problem is immunization compliance in children. The search index that I used to research this area was Pub med. Pub med has quite a bit of information listed and even by using MeSH terms and advance search criteria, I still wound up with quite a bit of information. Although, there were times where I had to limit some of my search terms because it would limit my search to nothing. I also noticed that even with the search limits and MeSH terms, articles would appear that did not fit into any of the criteria listed. Pub med would not be an appropriate tool for daily use due to the time that it takes to perform a search and then sort through the articles listed. While using a certified search index in practice is recommend, it is pertinent that is be user friendly and an efficient use of your time.

1 comment:

  1. I like the clinical problem that you identified of “immunization compliance in children”. It is a topic that is at the forefront of healthcare today. I chose to research on visiting hours policies in intensive care units. After completing the assignment I felt that maybe I should have chosen a different topic of research. Maybe one that was more related to direct patient care. I agree with you that PubMed would not be an appropriate database to use on a daily basis; though it has access to many good articles. PubMed would not allow you to have quick access to articles that you may need to read quickly.

    Jeremiah Stevens

    ReplyDelete