Monday, January 26, 2009

Module 2, Question 3
Using an electronic index, a guideline index, and a web search engine to retrieve information was helpful in the fact that all three enabled me to conduct a search using key words or phrases. The electronic index and guideline index directed me to medical reference articles, while the web search engine did not always present trustful , scientific information. Conducting medically related searches in the future will be done through an electronic index first, followed by the guideline index. If a further search was needed, I would consider turning to a web search engine. It needs to be taken into account when using a web search engine, to be careful with the information presented and to double check everything. Context relevant information retrieval would be useful as it limits the search and helps to make the information more manageable, and thus more useful in EBP.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,
    I am glad you mentioned the fact that information retrieved on web search engines may not always be reliable. It is something that I did not think to address but it is very important to remember. Perhaps this is another benefit to PubMed I did not think of--all references are verified and accuracy is assured. Good Job!
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete