Module 4, question1 (part one):
The readings helped me confirm that I do use EBP in my practice, but I also base a lot of my decisions on past experiences. Working in the Emergency Department for 14 years, it is difficult to not apply past experiences when patients present with varied complaints. Working in the Emergency Department, you do learn to look at differential diagnosis a lot more. The physicians have CDSS ready available, but that option is not as prevalent for the nurses. After reading, I realized the importance of CDSS. As stated in Hebda & Czar (2009) "CDS provides clinicians with knowledge or specific information that is intelligently filtered, or presented at appropriate times, to enhance health and health care". Having technology readily available that helps enhance health care and patient outcome is readily welcomed in my book. According to Anderson & Willson (2008), "The use of CDSSs to facilitate the use of CPG has ben proposed to bridge the gap between evidence and practice and there is evidence that CDSSs improve practitioner performance". Bridging the gap between evidence and practice in imperative to the outcome of the patient. Using EBP increases your knowledge base as a practitioner, which boosts your confidence and credibility. Using technology such as CDSSs will help support the decision making process, and help the practitioner on a regular basis.
I Couldn't Resist
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment